Friday, June 19, 2009

Couscous Casserole

I don't know why I have an affinity to want to throw all my ingredients into the same pot/pan/dish. But I am a big fan of making up recipes where I can call it a "hash" or "casserole" and it all comes together in the in one dish. I find comfort in what my mother used to deem "shovel food". You have one bowl of something that doesn't need to be cut or eaten separately and you can just shovel the goodness of it into your mouth. As if I need to eat any faster than the pace that I already inhale my food.

The problem is, often times, you say casserole or hash and people imagine something that is all one color and resembles what Doug Funnie was served in the cafeteria. Side note: I believe that this is the same reason people underestimate a nice Salisbury Steak. But the real problem with casseroles and hash is that they often times ARE made of really gross stuff! Shepards Pie..ew! Tuna Casserole..yuck! But I like to think that my casserole experiments stray away from these mistakes..and the one I made last night..was yummy and shovelicous!

-1 cup of chicken broth
-1 box of couscous (I use the the brand "Near East" Toasted Pine Nut flavor)
-1 cup spinach
-1 cup broccoli
-1 cup of cauliflower
-1 cup sauteed mushrooms
-1/2 cup of shallots
- 1 garlic clove minced
-2 tablespoons chopped basil
-1 tablespoons chopped oregano
-1/4 cup of Parmesan
-1/4 cup of grated Havarti with Dill cheese
-1 egg (beaten)
- dash of salt and pepper
-2 diced boneless and skinless chicken breasts
-1/4 cup dry white wine
-1/4 fat free sour cream

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and get ready to rock three pans at once!!
2. Put an inch of chicken broth in a sauce pan and add raw cauliflower and broccoli. Cover with a lid and put over medium high heat. Once the water boils turn the heat to low and let steam until the vegetables are soft. Once veggies are soft, drain and set aside.
3. While broccoli and cauliflower steams, follow the instructions for the couscous. Use chicken broth instead of water. When it comes time to add the couscous to the boiling liquid throw the spinach in as well. Fluff as directed.
4. While the veggies and the couscous are going on their own, heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and mushrooms and cook until brown.
4. Once everything is all cooked and drained mix all other ingredients together in a baking dish
3. Bake for 30 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Serve and shovel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment